Great Jewish Books summer program
In the summers of 2014, 2015, and 2016 I taught in the Great Jewish Books program for high school students at the Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, Mass. I'll be returning there again in the summer of 2017. For information about the program, including on how to apply to participate (admitted students do not pay tuition to participate), check out this link.
Community teaching / Adult education (selected)
- "The Hammer and the Pickle: Soviet Jewish Humor" at Temple Emunah in Lexington, MA, 1/31/2016
- Talkback at the screening of A Broken Identity (Eran Riklis and Sayed Kashua, Israel, 2014) at the Dairy Center for the Arts in Boulder, CO, 9/29/2015.
- "Hammer and Pickle: Jewish Humor in the Soviet Union" at Congregation Bonai Shalom in Boulder, CO, 2/6/2015.
- "Soviet Jews, Re-Imagined: New Literature by Russian-born American Jewish Writers" at the Boulder Jewish Community Center, as part of the "CU at the JCC" series, 10/4/2014.
- "Soviet Jewish Experience -- Through Humor" and "American Russian Jewish Literature: Myths and Foibles" at Limmud FSU (New Jersey, March 29, 2014)
- "The Zelmenyaners: A Family Saga" at the Boulder Jewish Community Center, 2/13/2014
- Talkback at the screening of Lenin in October (dir. Evgeny Ruman, Israel, 2010) at the Boulder Jewish Film Festival (3/9/2014) New Jersey Jewish Film Festival (Nov 6, 2012) and the Boston Jewish Film Festival (11/3/2011).
Public programming (selected)
This is a list of some of the public events I've organized and ran:
- Public lecture by the journalist Julia Ioffe: "To Russia, With Straight Talk: Media, Culture, and Contemporary Crises" (CU Boulder, 10/1/2015)
- Public lectures by the journalist and author Masha Gessen: "Russia, the New Anti-Gay Capital of the World" and "Words with Break Cement: The Passion of Pussy Riot" (CU Boulder, 5/24/2014)
- Gary Shteyngart: public reading of and conversation about Little Failure (CU Boulder, 2/20/2014). Press coverage in the Boulder Daily Camera and the Denver Post.
- Public lecture by the journalist Masha Gessen: "The Anatomy of a Crackdown: The Laws, Slogans, and Practices of the New Russia" (Lafayette College, 3/11/2013)
- Discussion of The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin with the author Masha Gessen (Lafayette College, 3/11/2013)
- Two public lectures by Samuel G. Freedman, NYTimes columnist and Columbia Journalism School professor (Lafayette College, 10/25/2012).
- Gary Shteyngart: public reading followed by an interview with the author; part of Distinguished Writers Series (Tufts University, 3/30/2012)
- Screening of My Perestroika followed by the discussion with the director Robin Hessman (Lafayette College, 11/19/2012; Tufts University, 3/8/2012)